Missing the South

Missing the South
Missing the South...

Sunday, August 24, 2014

It's Not Just About Football...It's About People, Too!




A few weeks ago, a potential customer messaged me about a hat that I had in my Etsy store for a little girl. She asked if I made them for women and what the price would be.  It was an Alabama Crimson Tide Cloche.  (I am an Auburn fan....but I have many, many Alabama friends and customers).

She told me she wanted it for her aunt who had lost her hair to chemo.  When I read that, I knew that there was no way that I could charge her for that hat.  Since I am involved in making hats for cancer patients, I just told her that I would make the hat and send it to her at no cost.  It was for a good cause and I could never charge for it.  Reminded me of the day that I was sitting in the chair at the salon getting my hair cut and saw an older lady getting her head shaved.  I knew why and just wondered how much they charged someone for something like that.  The lady left the shop and I suddenly saw the hairdresser run to the back of the shop, crying.  When I went to leave, I learned that my wonderful husband, who had been sitting there waiting and watching, had anonymously paid for the lady's haircut and the hairdresser was so moved that she had to run out crying.

With that being said, I am not writing this post or doing this for recognition.  Please do not tell me what a gracious thing I am doing.  I am not the one with cancer.  I have lost many loved ones to cancer.  I watched my father die a slow death, not to cancer but something just as bad.  I have realized that, as much as I love my Auburn Tigers and pull against the Alabama Crimson Tide, life is not a football game.  Life is no game at all, it is full of good and bad, joy and pain.  Life is fragile.  Every second of it.

Making this hat for a lady with cancer, who loves the football team that I pull against every Saturday, was the least that I could do to, hopefully, bring a smile to her face, a moment of joy, and help her to forget for a few seconds that she has this awful thing called cancer.


No comments:

Post a Comment